You know those buttery pretzels you can smell half way around the mall! These are them, Auntie Anne’s Pretzels, yummy…buttery goodness!
1¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (1 pkg.)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup bread flour
3 cups flour
2 cups water
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 -4 tablespoons butter (melted)
1) Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve.
2) Add sugar, salt and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
3) Let rise at least 1/2 hour.
4) While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups really warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda.
5) Be certain to stir often.
6) After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape.
7) Dip pretzel in soda solution and place on greased baking sheet.
8) Allow pretzels to rise again.
9) Bake in oven at 450 for about 10 minutes or until golden.
10) Brush with melted butter.
11) Topping Tips: After you brush with butter try sprinkling with coarse salt. You could also dip them in Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture or any other favorite toppings you like!